Monday, March 30, 2015

Working Out

I've only been blogging for a little while but hopefully my passion for staying in shape has come through? I was a fit guy before my accident but it was more of a result of my active lifestyle rather than a real dedication to fitness.

After the accident I think it is one of the most important things in my life.

I've been so fortunate to receive the epidural stimulation and know there are great things on the horizon for people living with paralysis but even with so much hope there is a constant nagging in the back of my mind about being physically fit for when these developments come about.

This is a constant battle for me...my muscle spasms are so bad I haven't slept through the night in years. My legs have a crazy mind of their own and will kick or shake uncontrollably every single day. I've been on baclofen (treats muscle spasms) and enjoyed the peace it brings. There are so many benefits to living a spasm free life! For me though, as much as I HATE the spasms, when my legs spasm I see the muscles tense. It's a small bit of comfort in an otherwise almost unbearable situation.

Not being able to voluntarily activate muscles below the chest anytime I want I love to see they're still alive.

I also love the feeling I get after a great workout. I know exercise releases endorphins but I think working out in a wheelchair increases the amount released...I've got no science here but when I'm at the gym I think about how hard it was for me to even get there, I think about all the machines I can't even use, the people staring at me thinking and the additional effort it takes me to get around a typical gym. The number of people in wheelchairs in your average gym is very little and those kind of odds make the workout that much more meaningful. If I can do it so can you. It isn't easy, it's beyond frustrating and sometimes you'll wonder why you even bother--everyone paralyzed or not does! But I can tell you one thing--when the cure comes you'll be ready! You'll be a better candidate, you'll recover faster, your heart will be stronger, your immune system will be stronger and you'll already have some muscle mass.

Those first workouts are the hardest (I'll get into my first workouts in a later post) but don't give up! The benefits from working out are unreal! I've never been so grateful I can workout - even if everyday is an arm day ;)

Here is a video of me trying to prove my brother wrong...he said I couldn't pull myself up a rope and do 10 pull-ups...
 

1 comment:

  1. The link to the video doesn't work, just so you know. You are an amazing man Dustin! I am so lucky to know you :)

    ReplyDelete