Friday, March 13, 2015

Dating...

My sister is trying to set me up on a blind date.

The dating world is a whole different story when you're in a wheelchair. I'm sure most people, in a wheelchair or not, get the pre-date nerves...is she as cute as her picture (or in this case as everyone says she is)? Will she think I'm good looking? Will we have enough to talk about? And of course the dreaded awkward silence that is bound to occur. Beyond that though I've got a lot more to think about--will the place we meet be handicap accessible? Will she be thinking the whole time about me being in wheelchair? Will she treat me differently?

For the most part, once you get enough confidence to actually set up the date, the first encounter can be awesome. I can plan enough ahead to make sure the odds are in my favor for handicap accessibility and I'm happy to share my story and answer the questions she's probably wondering. It's the thoughts of the potential next time that make dating stressful. What if she wants me to go to a party or meet her friends? Or maybe eventually her parents?

I've been to enough of my friends' houses to know most homes aren't easy to get in or around. At a friends house I am usually comfortable enough to do what I have to do to make it work--whether that is having someone carry me up the stairs, setting up makeshift ramps or using the bathroom in a closet or bedroom if the doors are too narrow to get in the actual bathroom. But how do you explain that situation to someone you're just starting to date, her friends or family?

These are just some of the thoughts running through my mind when I think about dating. The list goes on and on although it isn't enough to keep me from trying. I'm building my confidence by going to the gym and staying in shape. It's amazing how a great work out can make you feel like you can take on the world...or a blind date!

This isn't me--just some random image from Google but someday maybe it will be...

2 comments:

  1. I wish you could see Dustin the way I do. You'd feel a lot more confident!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women see beyond the chair.

    They're far smarter than we guys.

    ReplyDelete