Monday, March 23, 2015

T. Wilson

When you go through a life changing event there will always be people around who help you--whether you know what they've done or not. My accident was in August and I don't remember anything until about October. I know there many people who helped me and literally saved my life. Many of them I will never know but many are still by my side nearly five years later.

I think it goes without saying my family and friends have been an endless support system for me. They've made sacrifices I can't even begin to repay and continually encouraged me.

One person who really has gone out of his way to help me with my motivational speaking has asked for no recognition so I'll call him Tom W. or is that too obvious? Maybe he'd prefer Mr. W.? Or T. Wilson? Either way, this man who shall remain unnamed ;) has taken his role as an educator to a whole new level.

In a twist of fate Mr. W. was with me the morning I went in for my first major surgery after the car accident. My family had been by my bedside since I was life flighted in and left around 1am. They were told I'd be going in around 6am but I was prepared for surgery at 5am as they were on their way to the hospital. Mr. W. happened to be there with his wife and was told by another teacher I had been in a car accident. He used his classic Mr. W. charm to track me down in the surgery wing and they told him I was getting ready to go back for surgery. Since my family wasn't there yet I guess they assumed he was family and asked if he wanted to go back with me while I waited. I was not conscious but I know his familiar voice was a comfort for me as I was wheeled away for the 10 hour surgery.

He checked back in on me throughout the recovery process and then our paths crossed again after my cousin asked me to come speak to her class about a year ago. I was at my dad's shop practicing for my first public appearance. Truth be told I was practicing to a wall and must have looked a little crazy when Mr. W.  came around the corner. I explained what I was preparing for and he asked if he could come along. Of course a familiar face in the audience was more than welcome.

After the first speech Mr. W. must have seen something because he has been my biggest supporter to grow my speaking abilities ever since. I would never be where I am today without him. To him and everyone else who have been behind me--thank you.

My first day at the University of Utah Hospital 

No comments:

Post a Comment