Thursday, September 17, 2015

Why Stay Fit??

What does it matter if we stay fit?

Doing the things I love range from snowmobiling, camping, hanging out with friends, taking out the wild cat, boating, swimming and other such outdoor sports. A lot of the activities I do, aren't accessible from a wheelchair, so in addition to my upper body strength, I count on my friends and family to help out.

I find it's important for me to have a good diet and exercise regularly not only for my heath, but to keep in good shape. When I am with my friends, we often come across places that don't have ramps or an elevator (they are not wheelchair accessible), and sometimes friends have to pick me up and carry me to where we need to be. It's often up to me to help out and use the strength I do have, so that I'm not dead weight. An example of when I would need help is when we are out at the lake on our boats, I need help getting from the water back into the boat or onto the dock.( If you haven't ready my 4th of July boating experience, it's a must read and good for a laugh.)

If you want to enjoy life and do activities that take help from someone else (to get you from places to place) it makes things much easier if you keep yourself in good shape. I often encourage others to work out as well, after all, I may need their help. It helps when we all stay fit. Take a look at some of my wheelchair workouts, this one shows me doing pull ups...
-Dustin


Dustin Shillcox’s life drastically changed when he was in a car accident August 2010 and sustained major spinal cord damage, a broken upper arm, collapsed lungs, broken ribs, cracked sternum & mild brain injury. Dustin’s complete T-5 spinal cord injury (SCI) left him with no feeling below his mid-chest, causing paralysis from the chest down.

Now paralyzed, and living his life in a wheel chair, Dustin was told he would never again be able to move below his waist again, but after participating in a cutting edge SCI research project, at the University of Kentucky in Louisville, he is now able to move his legs and stand once again. Dustin is living his life to the fullest, sharing his story, journey of overcoming obstacles, and faith while raising funds for spinal cord research. Through his motivational speaking and the Dustin Shillcox Foundation, he is helping to improve the lives of people in wheelchairs.

Dustin delivers an inspiring message about never giving up, and the power of a positive attitude in his speech "What Are You Gonna Do Now?" Inquire about Dustin's availability to speak at your next business meeting, conference, charity event, school, church or graduation event. If you are looking to inspire your crowd to overcome personal challenges, and motivate into action, Dustin needs to be your next call! 307.870.6764



https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dustin-shillcox/102/5a0/b60

written by Nickel Lowman

No comments:

Post a Comment