Thursday, September 17, 2015

Life as a paraplegic-The funny things that happen...

4th of July problem

This summer on the 4th of July, my family and I went to Bear Lake for a family reunion. The plan was to take my brother's boat out on the lake Saturday, for some fishing and relaxing in the sun. There was about nine people on his boat when I got on board and we headed out with music on and it was a beautiful day!! 
We stopped the boat so just float, so we jump in the water to cool off and chill for a little while. I jumped off the side of the boat and enjoyed swimming in the nice cool blue water. Iit felt great, but when it was time for me to get out, that's when I had my problem. 

Usually, when I get out of the water, my friends and family help me onto the swim deck and then into the boat. This time when I was getting out of the water, I hadn't realized, but my swim shorts a had fallen off! There was nothing covering me. And in my defense, the water was cold!! Anyway, they helped back into the boat and put a towel over me and that's how I spent the rest of the afternoon (because no one ever takes an extra pair of shorts with them boating)! 

Lesson of the day: make sure your shorts are tied tight before getting in the water.
-Dustin
 

Dustin Shillcox’s life drastically changed when he was in a car accident August 2010 and sustained major spinal cord damage, a broken upper arm, collapsed lungs, broken ribs, cracked sternum & mild brain injury. Dustin’s complete T-5 spinal cord injury (SCI) left him with no feeling below his mid-chest, causing paralysis from the chest down.

Now paralyzed, and living his life in a wheel chair, Dustin was told he would never again be able to move below his waist again, but after participating in a cutting edge SCI research project, at the University of Kentucky in Louisville, he is now able to move his legs and stand once again. Dustin is living his life to the fullest, sharing his story, journey of overcoming obstacles, and faith while raising funds for spinal cord research. Through his motivational speaking and the Dustin Shillcox Foundation, he is helping to improve the lives of people in wheelchairs.

Dustin delivers an inspiring message about never giving up, and the power of a positive attitude in his speech "What Are You Gonna Do Now?" Inquire about Dustin's availability to speak at your next business meeting, conference, charity event, school, church or graduation event. If you are looking to inspire your crowd to overcome personal challenges, and motivate into action, Dustin needs to be your next call! 307.870.6764



https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dustin-shillcox/102/5a0/b60

written by Nickel Lowman

No comments:

Post a Comment