Monday, November 9, 2015

Faith

Reflections from a Wheelchair...

As I've been reflecting on my life, being in a wheelchair, facing challenges that most people don't realize, I have learned quite a bit about myself. 

When I was first injured, I knew that it would be a lot of hard work and time in order for me to get back on my feet and into the life I once had. As time went on, I started to wonder if I would ever be able to walk or even stand again. 

From the beginning my family, friends, and I all hoped that I would be back on my feet in no time. After two years of hard work I had seen no progress. That's when I decided that I was no longer going to rely on hope, but have faith. I'm not talking about religion, but "faith" believing in something and knowing that it will happen. Like Jim Carry said "hope is for beggars, hope walks through fires, when faith leaps over it".

I put faith in my goal to walk again with hard work and dedication, I'm now standing, moving my legs, toes, and ankles. I've even have improvement back in my bathroom abilities and sexual functions. It may not be back to 100% but it's a good start, I'm going to keep pushing forward and having the faith that I will walk again one day.


Dustin Shillcox’s life drastically changed when he was in a car accident August 2010 and sustained major spinal cord damage, a broken upper arm, collapsed lungs, broken ribs, cracked sternum & mild brain injury. Dustin’s complete T-5 spinal cord injury (SCI) left him with no feeling below his mid-chest, causing paralysis from the chest down.

Now paralyzed, and living his life in a wheel chair, Dustin was told he would never again be able to move below his waist again, but after participating in a cutting edge SCI research project, at the University of Kentucky in Louisville, he is now able to move his legs and stand once again. Dustin is living his life to the fullest, sharing his story, journey of overcoming obstacles, and faith while raising funds for spinal cord research. Through his motivational speaking and the Dustin Shillcox Foundation, he is helping to improve the lives of people in wheelchairs.

Dustin delivers an inspiring message about never giving up, and the power of a positive attitude in his speech "What Are You Gonna Do Now?" Inquire about Dustin's availability to speak at your next business meeting, conference, charity event, school, church or graduation event. If you are looking to inspire your crowd to overcome personal challenges, and motivate into action, Dustin needs to be your next call! 307.870.6764



https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dustin-shillcox/102/5a0/b60

written by Nickel Lowman

No comments:

Post a Comment